Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Hidradenitis Suppurativa


Although you may not have heard of Hidradenitis Suppurativa it is possible that you may have it and not know it. Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS), also known as acne inversa, is an inflammatory skin disease that affects only a reported 1% of the population. I believe that it affects many more people but it is not reported because of misdiagnoses and because people are too embarrassed to talk about it. HS is often misdiagnosed as acne, ingrown hairs and even herpes. When I first researched this skin disease I noticed that a lot of people described their symptoms as "bumps on inner thigh" or "bad ingrown hairs" or "Herpes under the arms". For the record I want to clarify that HS is not genital herpes (HSV2). It is a skin disease that affects areas of skin such as the inner thigh, under arms, buttocks and breast.

Symptoms
  • Painful boil, lesions
  • Pain and tenderness under the skin
  • Pus or fluid like discharge from lesions or tracts on or under the skin.
  • Red, tender swelling, in the groin area
  • Odor infected areas
No one knows the exact cause of HS however many think it is a type of endocrine disorder along with clogging of the apocrine ducts. While others believe that it is a combination of both along with a variety of bacteria that causes the infections. Our apocrine glands are prominently located in the underarms as well as the genital area. Although we may not know the cause of HS we do know that it is most prevalent in African American women and overweight individuals. Obesity, however is not a cause of HS neither is poor hygiene.

Treatments
  • Topical antibiotics
  • Loose clothing should be worn at all times
  • A good antibacterial soap such as Dial or Lever 2000
  • In some cases surgery is needed
  • Loosing weight can be helpful but keep in mind that the disease is not caused by obesity, it just makes it harder to cope with.
  • Avoid antiperspirants
  • Birth control pills maybe used to create a hormonal balance
  • Steroids may also be used to decrease inflammation
Support
If you are suffering from HS or is unsure if you have HS please consult a physician before your condition gets worst. Please do not be embarrassed there are many like and no one should have to suffer alone. I will try to post more on this topic because I think that it is very important that people with HS are heard and that they are informed about their condition. Take care of your beautiful selves until my next post, stay blessed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The information is indeed useful=P

Dj said...

Stay tuned I will try to add more info about HS.

Anonymous said...

I believe I have this. It has been called hyatid cystisera or something to this effect. However, when i stumbled on this condition I feel it fits me to a T. Inflammed follicles that occur just before a menstral cycle (hormonal), painful red swelling when thighs rub together (50lbs overweight). Strts as a small tiny bump(blackhead) that sometimes never comes to a head. Just started getting similar things under breasts and where waist band his below belly button. Under diagnosed it at all. Your website is very helpful Thanks for the info.

Anonymous said...

I have struggled with this for over a decade. Last March, I ended up with a strep infection as a complication and had an emergency surgery which left me with a 9cm cavity that took over a month to heal. One hellish, painful month.

I've started taking 1 tsp turmeric with 1/8 tsp black pepper in warm water twice a day. Since starting this, my symptoms have gone to zero. I am shocked and amazed. I cannot describe how much this has improved my daily comfort and overall well-being and outlook. I would urge anyone with this condition to give turmeric a try.